12.01.2008

Interesting Moment as a Viral Video DP

I can't believe I haven't written about THIS one yet.

My friend Brian is somewhat of an internet video genius. He created 5secondsfilms.com, where you'll find hysterical short films that are, quite literally, 5 seconds long. In fact, quite a few of my friends seem to be popular viral video makers. I am liking viral videos more and more, and one big thing I miss about LA is collaborating with my friends on ridiculous videos to get hits on Youtube. We all kind of love the internet, possibly too much.

Anyways. Brian and I, maybe a few weeks before we graduated, literally ran around the USC campus one day with his Canon XL2 and made this video almost on the fly:



We had a blast and honestly, I never get sick of watching it. It encompasses Brian pretty accurately, from his love of Andrew WK, to our mutual eagerness to get the fuck out of school. It also reflects the filmmaking style of our little social group: blatantly ridiculous.

After a decent amount of time passed after Brian posted the video on Youtube, he eventually got around to telling me what I thought was amazing news.

I was hanging with some of my Denver friends when I got his call. I am always thrilled when someone from Los Angeles calls me, so I was excited and my voice was already up a couple octaves.

BRIAN: "So, uh, Andrew called me."
ME: "Wait... Which Andrew?"
BRIAN: "Andrew... Andrew WK."

ANDREW WK GOT A HOLD OF BRIAN TO TELL HIM THAT HE LIKED THE VIDEO.

I started shrieking. And after a few moments to process: "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, BRIAN, PLEASE TELL ME HE LIKED THE CRASH ZOOMS!"

And of course Andrew liked the crash zooms. Those crash zooms are fucking awesome, adding to an overall awesome video that is awesome enough to warrant a call from Andrew W frickin K.

So yeah. Andrew WK has seen something I shot and he liked it. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

No comments :