10.02.2009

I have a lot of things to say...

... about the Roman Polanski case, but at this time I am not quite sure how to say them. I am incubating until something clicks and feels right.

What do you guys think? I see a nation struggling with the notion that a great artist is capable of such terrible things, and that a man who pled guilty to the rape of a child is capable of creating such beautiful art. There is also the added complications of media, the influence of celebrity, the lack of awareness our country has for misogyny, and the fascination everyone has with age (both Polanski's age and the age of the girl.) Kate Harding wrote an excellent post over at Salon.

Until I get my thoughts figured out, there is an interesting thread going on over at John's blog at A Purple State of Mind, about the nature of celebrity and the nation's mentality regarding justice. His particular method to make his argument did not sit well with me, so I wrote him. He replied cordially (comment #2) and I hope a healthy debate continues (I've avoided joining in on the other comments, which are starting to become accusatory, and we all know how internet accusations normally go).

My comments are #1 and #9 listed under the name "L".

I would like to know your thoughts.

2 comments :

Alex Selus said...

I say let him burn. The guy committed one of, if not the, most disturbing crimes in our society, and admitted to it.

If it were a matter of "did he do it?" then I may be a little more on the fence. But no, he talked his way into a lesser sentence, then runs.

I think his year (or less) original sentence in prison should be extended for running.

I don't really struggle with the idea that a great artist is capable of such horrible things. It's almost the nature of the cliché "troubled artist". What I want to know is are there more? I am skeptical that him forcing himself on the girl the way he did ended there.

His achievements do not, and cannot excuse his crime. If they did then that would be giving firefighters the right to kill as many people as they save. No, we have these rules in place for a reason, and in that "Purple state of mind" blog, I really think the post was just to get a reaction out of people. Greenspan may have been 'in charge' but that doesn't mean he is the only one to blame, most of Americans share this blame. I've seen it first hand, people buying a new car every other month when they can barely afford their home. Polanski, on the other hand, is the only one to blame.

The big problem is a lack of responsibility in our culture, which reflects directly back to the Polanski case. Really I see it as unfortunate that Samantha Geimer wants to dismiss the arrest due to the “prosecutor's focus on lurid details [that] continues to traumatize her and her family”. I can see how it would, but at the same time by coming forward she is responsible for the end result.

Really, the unfortunate thing is that all cases like this don’t get the publicity. Considering the circumstances, not every rapist has dual citizenship and can flee to France, but it’s also terrible that these things are considered acceptable when the rapist is a great filmmaker.

LH said...

Thanks Cody!